BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY - Upon delivery, inspect your goods!
- Hummert International contracts with carriers to deliver truck shipments to the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada. These carriers have given us the best rates and discounts, which are passed to the customer, and also pay claims in a timely manner. We are able to quote estimated freight charges when needed. We will not ship C.O.D. by truck
- Freight charges can be as follows:
Collect: Freight bill is to be paid to the driver at the time of delivery.
Prepaid & Add: Hummert International will invoice you for the freight charges, however, there is a $15.00 fee for this service.
Prepaid: Freight charges are paid by Hummert International or the manufacturer.
- Upon delivery - inspect your goods!
Read the Delivery Receipt Carefully! Is the condition of the boxes, product in good condition?
- Does the number of pieces reflect what is printed on the delivery receipt/Bill of Lading?
It is very important to check the number of pieces (cartons) received against what is printed on the receipt to know if anything is short. Do not count just skids of product.
- Check the delivery for damages.
When checking for damages it is important to look for the following: holes, smashed boxes, boxes opened and re-taped, dented, punctured wet or stained. Make all notations of shortages or damages directly under the contents shipped on the delivery receipt. All Copies!! (Make sure your notation is on the driver?s copy) this will ensure your rights as our customer.
ONLY YOU CAN MAKE A NOTATION OF ANY EXCEPTION WHEN THE DRIVER IS PRESENT, AND HE/SHE INITIALS AFTER YOUR NOTATION. EXCEPTIONS THAT ARE WRITTEN ON THE DELIVERY RECEIPT AFTER THE DRIVER HAS LEFT ARE NOT VALID AND DISQUALIFY YOU IN FILING A CLAIM. DAMAGES SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE CARRIER.
- Remember! Failure to inspect your packages or notate any damages or shortages on the delivery receipt; WILL WAIVE YOUR RIGHTS TO ANY COMPENSATION.
Concealed Damage: It is hard to prove concealed damage. Most carriers will not honor concealed damage request unless a claim is filed within 7-10 days after receipt and will not compensate for actual value. Calls must be made within 24 hrs. to carriers.
Airport Pick-Ups: It is recommended that whenever picking up packages at the airport to inspect for concealed damage before leaving.
- Rules for filing freight claims: Carriers are fully responsible for the safe handling and safe keeping of the goods when they are in their possession. Carriers will be liable for the actual monetary value of any cargo loss, damage or delay.
Hummert International agrees to submit claims for loss, damage or non-delivery to the carrier provided they have shipped under the prepaid and add terms. Shipper will have 9 months to file a claim. Concealed claims must be filed within 7-10 working days. A delay claim can be filed if it is deemed to have occurred if delivery is made more that 7 working days after the carrier service standard that is published in the service matrix. (A Delay claim is NOT when the customer has not been available for delivery.)
The EXCEPTION to Hummert International filing a claim is, when an order ships Freight Collect, Billed or Third Party. Then it will be the responsibility of the customer to file their own claims.
As our customer, you will be required to send us the information within 30 days after delivery if it is not a Concealed Damage claims in question. We will need the DELIVERY RECEIPT (proof of delivery) that clearly states the damages or shortages and a letter stating whether you would like a replacement or credit. IF the delivery receipt is not properly notated there is no recourse with the truckline and NO reshipment, nor reimbursement. Please mail paperwork by register mail for tracking purposes.
To avoid any service charges that may be incurred while the claim is in process, please pay our invoice according to terms.
We at Hummert International do not presume to oversimplify the many governmental regulations that come into play when shipping, they are there for the protection of all parties involved. We merely wish to point out where the responsibility changes hands and provide you, our customer, with whatever advice our experience in this growing industry can provide. If you are in further need of assistance in proper handling of shipments, feel free to call us.