Simple Checklist For Maintaining Your Greenhouse by Mike H.
Monday, June 17, 2019
Taking care of your greenhouse now will pay off in the long run – much like a car. As we enter a slower time of year it is always a good idea to review your greenhouse components to make sure all are working as they should and to provide maintenance where needed.
- Best growing environment for plants
- Safety concerns for students and guests
For the best growing environment, safety, efficiency, and long term health, attention paid to all of its components is a must.
A checklist of things to check and maintain in your greenhouse:
- Cooling system: Pads/pump/tank/gutter & distribution
- Fans: Check fan belts/lubricate motors/listen for bad bearings
- Shade-cloth: Check for tears/still well attached
- HAF fans: Do they run/make noise? Often overlooked but very important to crop health
- Environmental control system: Does it work as it should with all equipment?
- Glazing – Yellowing? Loose corners?
- Heaters. Yes, heaters. They’re easy to forget about until you need them in the fall. It’s good to make sure they’re in good working order before allowing to rest for the summer.
If you need help or elaboration on any of the above topics, please feel free to contact us. If you need a source for or advice on annuals, perennials, pH or EC meters, soil or anything else, I can help you with that as well.
Happy Growing!Mike Hellmann
Plants and Cuttings Manager