Newsletters >> June 2013 Newsletter (vol.19)
IN THIS ISSUE
IN THIS ISSUE
• The Perfect Shade
• Port-A-Cool Fan
• Protect Landscaping From Japanese Beetles
• Hummert Expo
• Benefits of ZeroTol
• June Garden Tips
IN OTHER NEWS
• Hummert Springfield Location last Saturday for the Season 6/29
• First day of Summer - 6/21
• We will be closed in observance of Independence Day –7/4 and 7/5
• OFA Short Course
Columbus, OH –
HUMMERT’S FUN FACT
Torenia, a shade-loving annual, is called the wishbone flower. Look for tiny wishbone-shaped stamens inside the purple, blue or burgundy petals.
4500 Earth City Expressway
Earth City, MO 63045
phone: (800) 325-3055
fax: (314) 506-4510
As the spring breeze moves out and the summer heat moves in, many greenhouse growers start scrambling to get shade cloth. But what kind of shade cloth do you need? While most people simply think shade is shade, there is a lot more that goes into getting the perfect shade cloth for your greenhouse/application.
Summer is finally here which means vacations and warmer temperatures. As the summer heat increases, so do the number of insects. One of the most troublesome insects in the eastern United States is the Japanese beetle. The Japanese beetle causes major damage to urban landscapes.
What is ZeroTol?
ZeroTol is an environmentally-responsible, liquid algaecide/fungicide used to prevent and control disease on turf and ornamentals. Its professional strength formula eliminates plant pathogens providing superior results and healthy plants.
- Install tomato cages/stakes
- Watch for summer weeds and keep them under control
- Check for slugs during rainy periods
- Move houseplants outside to shaded areas
- Water your lawn as needed
- Remove old flower heads from annual bedding plants to keep them blooming
- Watch for and control black spot and powdery mildew on rose foliage